The Chartwell LS6, designed by Derek Hughes is a custom built 6 inch long-throw bass drive unit mated to a compact 17 litre cabinet giving bass extension and power handling that is comparable to the LS5/9. The bespoke 19mm dome tweeter extends to beyond 20kHz. The overall response retains the smoothness of both the LS3/5 and LS5/9.
A large rear mounted port gives effortless bass, while allowing us to minimise the size of the cabinet to allow it to blend easily into typical domestic environments.
A sophisticated crossover network blends the two units and equalises the overall response for optimum performance in free space. A switch on the front baffle adjusts the tweeter level to +1dB or +2dB. This can be useful for situations where the listening position is off axis.
In common with all Graham Audio loudspeakers, the cabinet uses the classic BBC “thinwall” construction, where the panels are mass-loaded to ensure that resonances are moved away from the critical mid-range region, and a layer of Rockwool is held in place by fabric to provide air damping. Hand-matched veneers are applied and finished to a very high standard. The grille is carefully designed to minimise diffraction effects and is held in place by concealed rare-earth magnets.
- System: 2 way, reflex loading
- Enclosure: Thin wall construction, 9mm birch plywood, removable rear panel
- Finish: Real wood veneer
- Dimensions: 24cm x 37cm x 26cm W/H/D
- Weight: 9.5kg
- Frequency response: 45Hz to 20kHz
- Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms
- Sensitivity: 87dB SPL (2.83v, 1m)
- Maximum output: Over 100dB for a pair at 2m
- Bass/midrange: 165mm Polypropylene
- Tweeter: 19mm Dome tweeter
- Recommended amplifier power: 50 to 150 watts unclipped programme